Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Taco Soup Recipe

Tonight was one of my favorite Daniel Fast meals. Taco Soup.
You just can't go wrong with this soup. It's especially nice to have hot soup now that the weather is finally acting like it's winter time! This recipe has a little bit of kick to it that I guess came from the spices in the Ro-tel tomatoes. I'm not sure but that little bit of heat wasn't too much and was a nice touch. I suppose it could have been the taco seasoning. You can certainly used packaged taco seasoning but I encourage you to read the ingredients label first. As stated before in this blog, if the ingredients are not anything you recognize or can easily pronounce, then they are probably artificial and processed ingredients. Better to make your own. I'll provide the recipe for homemade taco seasoning below.  You probably have most of these in your cabinet anyway. I originally got this soup recipe from The Ultimate Daniel Fast website but I've adapted it a bit for my family's own taste.

Taco Soup
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes with chilis
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can refried beans (organic and vegetarian if you can find it)
1 can corn drained (or better yet, frozen corn)
1 Tbsp DIY taco seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
*1 to 1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice

Cook rice according to package directions. Sauté diced onion in olive oil over warm heat until soft and translucent. Add broth, tomatoes, beans, refrieds, corn and seasonings. Heat to boiling and reduce heat and cook 30 minutes. Add cooked rice, the last few minutes of cooking.

Yield: 8 servings
*Can substitute polenta or quinoa for brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment