Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe

Last night it was Portobello Fajitas. This was a first time recipe for me and it was really good. Definitely will keep this one on my list. But I honestly think I could have just as easily had button mushrooms rather than the portobellos. Didn't taste much different although the portobellos are obviously more meaty. Nevertheless it was delicious and filling. In addition to the sautéed mushrooms, peppers and onions, I added baked corn (drained corn baked on a oiled cookie sheet), avocado and salsa on homemade tortillas. Homemade tortillas are SO easy to make and once you have had them, you'll never want to return to store bought! :) I used to be intimidated by them but when my daughter told me how easy they were, I bit the bullet and tried them out. Delicious! I got the recipe HERE at 100 Days of Real Food which is a GREAT resource for transitioning to whole food eating. There are tons of kids lunch ideas on this site for those of you with school age children and lots of information and recipes. Another go-to site for me. Anyway, here's the recipe. Let me know if you tried any of the recipes here and how you liked them. :)



Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas 
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur white whole wheat)
1/2 cup oil (I used olive)
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water

1. In a heavy duty mixer, mix flour, oil and salt with a dough hook until crumbly. Scrape down the sides as needed. (Before I got my stand mixer, I used my food processor which had a dough attachment. You can also use a hand held mixer if it has a dough hook).
2. With mixer still running, add warm water. Continue mixing until dough is smooth, about 3 minutes. (If you don't have a stand mixer, Just stop mixing and add the water. Not a deal breaker.)
3. Take out the dough and divide dough into 12 equal pieces*. Then I roll each piece into a ball with the palm of my hands.
4. Cover with a clean cloth and let rest at room temp for about 15 minutes.
5. To flatten the dough balls into lovely tortilla shaped circles, you can do it the easy way or the Not so easy way lol.  Easy way: Get a tortilla press. They don't cost much and you can get them on Amazon. If you go this route, place ball in the center of the press, and press down hard. Thats it.
More difficult way: On a lightly floured board or counter, roll out dough balls into an 8-10 inch circle. But take my word for it... get the tortilla press.
6. Lightly grease (I use Pam) a griddle or frying pan and when pan is hot, carefully transfer each tortilla to hot pan and cook, one at a time, until puffy or lightly brown (about 30-45 seconds per side). I have a cast iron griddle that I use for this.
7. Set aside cooked tortillas on a plate or tortilla warmer until ready to eat. Eat within the hour or refrigerate or freeze. Freezes well in a freezer bag, but wait until they have cooled to room temp before freezing or they'll stick together.

*To divide into 12 equal pieces, form into a log and then cut in the middle. Then cut those pieces in the middle and so on until you have 12 equally sized pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment