Friday, January 8, 2016

New year. New season. New blog,

Hello all! Welcome to 2016. It's a new year and a new blog. I haven't abandoned the old one (as of yet) but I decided I'd try something new. Whereas the old blog (See here) was a spiritual diary of sorts, this one will be a bit different. I hope to take a 'whole person' approach- discussing our body, soul and spirit. Sometimes if one area gets out of order it can affect the others. So here's my attempt at finding wholeness in the main areas of life, starting with health (I plan to write on the other two facets also as time goes on). But the older I get, the more physical issues I find myself facing and the more I find myself searching for natural solutions. Everything I've researched points to how what we put in our bodies affects our over-all well being. Our ancestors would probably not even recognize what we today call 'food'. Their food was tilled from the earth, caught from streams or harvested from the forest. It took effort to get their food on the table. Today we don't even break a sweat getting into our car, driving to the supermarket, and picking up a frozen dinner or boxed mix to microwave for our family's dinner. It's no wonder this generation is sick, fat, tired and addicted to processed food. Make no mistake, I'm talking about myself. I am guilty. And I have no excuse. I've known about this for a while. I read up on whole real foods before it was a 'thang'. But truthfully, more often than not, convenience won out over conviction. Plus to be perfectly honest, I LIKE processed food. I love Twinkies, I love chips, I love the convenience of canned cream of mushroom soup and instant rice. I even like most fast food- Whataburger, Cane's chicken fingers, PIZZA! When I was young I had the metabolism of an athlete (without actually exercising) and could eat whatever I wanted and stayed slim. Ha! Those days are long gone. And as i've entered my 50's, i'm seeing how my health is being affected by all those years of no exercise and lots of processed food. So it's time for a change. I'm not getting any younger and life's not moving by any slower. It's now or never. 

So in addition to sharing spiritual insights, the dual purpose for this new blog is to explore better and more natural ways to care of this temple. And I need accountability. If left to my own devices I'll still be eating Bugles in bed (like I was this morning) ten years from now. Except 10 years from now will I even be able to get out of bed?! Well, I'm not waiting around to find out! I plan to transition to whole, non-processed foods and exercise and to chronicle it here. I plan to share recipes, resources, my successes and failures and hopefully inspire someone along the way to do the same. So here's to wholeness of body, soul and spirit in 2016. Join me on this wholeness journey and let's do This Whole Thang!

No comments:

Post a Comment