Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week 1 Recap and WEEK 2 Menu

Hey all. Well how'd everyone do with Week 1 of the Daniel Fast? We did pretty well overall except for a couple of mess ups (In addition to my nasty cauliflower Alfredo I also had a huge smoothie failure which I shall not elaborate on). I didn't completely stick to the Dinner idea list. That big honkin batch of soup that I made on the first day reappeared many times during the week for lunches and even for dinner a couple more times when we didn't feel like cooking. As you know I attempted the Alfredo instead of sticking to the list, which along with the nights we had left overs replaced the burrito bowls and taco soup so that will be on the list again this week. Here's what I ended up having this week. Keith's was slightly different since he chose different items for lunch and also was away one night on a hunting trip and had to eat what he was served.

Monday: Detox soup for the masses (Success although we made so much and had it so often that I don't think I want to see this soup again for a long time).
Tuesday: Portobello fajitas. (Success!)
Wednesday: Soup left-overs
Thursday: Alfredo disaster
Friday: Soup left overs
Saturday: Greek salad (Success!! This salad was glorious! We shall see it again next week. More on it below)
Sunday: Stewed cabbage and sliced potatoes and onions sautéed in olive oil (Success! This is a favorite of ours any night of the week, Daniel Fast or not. Especially good in the summertime served with sliced tomatoes when they are abundant)

A little about the Greek Salad. I don't know if I was just super hungry or what but good grief it was good. Sliced mushrooms, diced red onions, sweet bell peppers, green olives, pickled artichoke hearts, avocado, grape tomatoes, pecans and handful of hemp hearts served with Italian dressing. Yum Yum!

For breakfasts I usually had a smoothie or oatmeal.
I had the best smoothie of all time this week--Frozen strawberries, half an avocado, half a banana, tofu, coconut oil, hemp hearts, pineapple juice. Yum! For lunch I either had left-overs or I ate breakfast so late that I had my breakfast at lunchtime.

But despite all this healthy food, I've lost one pound is all :(. But I do feel sharper and healthier. The longer you eat healthy, the less you want to eat junk. And I have found myself a lot more focused and have had some really good times in the word and in prayer. More on that later in the week...

Okay so what's on the menu this week? This is just a guideline. As you can see I don't always stick to it.


WEEK 2:

Breakfasts:
Smoothies
Oatmeal
Fruit and Nut Cereal --This is basically, different types of berries and/or fruit, bananas, coconut and nuts in a bowl with almond milk. I eat it like cereal. Its really yummy and surprisingly filling. You could use any type of berry or sliced fruit.

Lunches:
Leftovers
Tortilla with avocado

Dinners:
-Spaghetti with sautéed vegetables (See Recipe)
-Burrito bowls --Sautéed onions and bell peppers, black beans, refried beans, avocado, salsa in a bowl of Cilantro Rice 
-Grilled (or roasted) veggie shish kebobs (Link)
-Pesto Pasta with sautéed vegetables --Basil or Tomato pesto--to taste, as much or as little as you like-- mixed with whole wheat spaghetti and sautéed vegetables. Could use zucchini, eggplant, onion, mushrooms, etc.
-Taco soup (RecipeAnother tried and true that we return to each year (adapted from The Ultimate Daniel Fast's taco soup recipe).
-Greek Salad (Link) Original recipe is in the link. But you can see how I adapted it above. 

Snacks:
Nuts and dried fruit
Granola (LinkI follow this fairly close but I prefer pecans to walnuts and I add some cinnamon to the mix and also I don't add the dried fruit until towards the end of the baking time to keep it from becoming too dried out and chewy. I also bake longer than the recipe calls for. Maybe I should have just written out my own recipe lol 

I realize that I only listed 5 dinner items but I want to leave it open for ideas that may strike me throughout the week plus the inevitable left overs. I'll let you know how it goes. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment